Is Crystal City Olive Oil the Real Deal?
I found myself reading this random article about Olive Oil… don’t judge me. I bookmarked and came back to it recently. Here’s the quick UrbanCorning.com notes:
- Some dude moved to Italy and wrote a book about Olive Oil
- The majority of olive oil in the U.S. is a mix of olive and other oils
- …or in some cases, not consisting of any olive oil.
- These fraudulent oils are passed through Italy so it can get a “made in Italy” sticker.
- There is no enforcement of labeling laws on what can be called “extra virgin olive oil”
- Low grade / low cost olive oils are basically lamp oil
- Real olive oil takes time, money, and skill to produce
- California olive farms are producing pure oils for U.S. markets
So this guy’s book got popular and he started the website / campaign Truth in Olive Oil. I clicked around the site and found his constantly updated Great Olive Oils of the World list. I wasn’t likely to find the relatively new Crystal City Olive Oil shop in Corning, but I recalled the owner telling me once that their oil came from a farm in California, so that’s a sign that it could be the legit stuff. Scanning the list of Great Olive Oils of the World, I was curious to what may be in NY, and there it was! Under NY you’ll find Corning – Crystal City Olive Oil.
Awesome! It’s approved by the one guy I’ve ever heard of that is obsessed with olive oil enough to write a book about it. That’s good enough reason for me to bring all of my business there. It happens to be flippin great olive oil, makes a great gift, and the shopping experience is fun (think wine tasting, but with olive oils).
Crystal City Olive Oil | 2 West Market St, Corning, NY 14830 | Facebook.com/CrystalCityOliveOil